All living things (humans, animals, plants) have an aura or energy field. So too do all physical objects such as pebbles, crystals, furniture, although the aura of a living thing is much more colourful and vibrant than that of an inanimate object. The aura is the electro-magnetic field that emanates from all matter. It oscillates around the human body as multi-coloured waves of light.
The human energy field or aura is comprised of numerous different layers. In this blog I will be looking at the three levels closest to the human body – the etheric body, the emotional body and mental body. These three layers together provide a guide to a person’s energy, emotional and mental health.
This layer is closest to the physical body, extending up to 1” away from the body. Its colour varies between light blue to white and it can most easily be seen around the fingers. Clairvoyants can interpret illness in the body through the presence of dark energy. Pain or inflammation can be indicated through the presence of red ‘hot’ spots.
This layer extends 1”-3” from the physical body. It is concerned with emotions and feelings and varies in colour between bright, clear colours to dark and muddy shades. Because our feelings can change frequently throughout the day, the colours in this auric layer also change. Bright clear colours relate to healthy emotions. For example light blue would indicate a peace-maker, someone is a calm, caring and sensitive; while orange would indicate someone who is lively, witty and sociable. Muddy shades relate to more negative character traits, such as muddy green indicating jealousy and envy.
This layer extends 3”-8” from the physical body and is concerned with the mind and thought processes. People with a positive mind and strong intellect have a vibrant mental body. This layer is usually predominantly yellow as this colour is most concerned with the mind but I have also seen blue here (indicating the blues) and a dark indigo blue indicating a serious, introverted character or depression.
Viewing the Aura
Here are two methods you can try:-
- Look at the side of a person’s head, about 6” away, and let your eyes go into soft focus.
- Look directly at a person, let your vision go into soft focus, and allow colours to form in your peripheral vision in the other person’s energy field.
In both cases, relax the body and mind first with some deep breathing and basic meditation. You can also try the eye exercise below to improve eye sight, particularly your peripheral vision, and strengthen the eye muscles.
Exercise to improve your peripheral vision
- Close your eyes and take some deep breaths. With your eyes still closed and keeping your head still, look up to your forehead as high as you can, then look straight down as far as you can. Repeat this up and down movement 8 times.
- Return your eyes to the centre. Without moving your head, look to the left then look to the right. Repeat this left-right movement 8 times. You should be able to feel the eye muscles working!
- Return your eyes to the centre. Again, without moving your head, look up diagonally to the top left corner, then down diagonally to the lower right corner. Repeat this movement 8 times.
- Return your eyes to the centre. Again, without moving your head, look up diagonally to the top right corner, then down diagonally to the lower left corner. Repeat this movement 8 times.
- Return your eyes to the centre. Without moving your head, look upwards as high as you can, then move the eyes round in a clockwise direction to form a circle. Repeat 9 times.
- Then from the point at the top of your vision, move the eyes round in an anti-clockwise direction forming a circle. Repeat 9 times.
- When you have done, rest a few moments with your eyes closed.
An Exercise to Strengthen the Aura
When a person is tired, run down or very ill, the energy field as a whole shrinks down in size. This can also happen when a person has been emotionally and mentally drained, such as through bullying or abuse. In this case the aura becomes dim and difficult to read. This exercise will help to strengthen, clear and balance your aura. Ideally it can be practiced once a day.
- Close your eyes and imagine the colour red.
- As you inhale, try to feel your breath drawing the red up the back of your body, from your feet to the top of your head, then pause, holding the colour at the top of your head. As you exhale, feel the red flow down the front of your body before sweeping under your feet.
- Still imagining the colour red, breathe in and draw the red up the right hand side of your body to the top of your head, then pause. As you exhale, send the red down the left hand side of your body, again taking the colour under your feet.
- Move the circle of colour further out from your physical body and continue for 4 breaths, this time focusing on the colour orange.
- Each time, move the circle of colour further out and continue the 4 breaths with yellow, green, sky blue, indigo then violet/lavender.
- Finish off the exercise with a white or golden light.
Helen Shortland is a Reiki Master Teacher, Meditation Teacher and Holistic Therapist based at Little London Herbal Stores on Kings Walk in Nottingham city centre. She runs a range of spiritual themed workshops including Developing Intuition and Connecting to your Spirit Guide. Please ring her on 07748 591690 to book a treatment or visit her website http://helenshortland.com for further information.
Developing Intuition workshop Sat 26th April 2014, 2.30-5pm, £15.
Please email me at email@example.com for further information/booking.